January 29, 2008

November 20, 2002

Receiving e-mail and letters from close friends and family members has inspired me to start writing a monthly newsletter to all those whom we love. The purpose of this letter is to let you know in detail, what is going on with the Bobik family in Oklahoma.
Daniel and I have come to the conclusion that we will definitely not be living in Oklahoma for the rest of our lives. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice place and we absolutely love the experiences we are having here but to be honest, people here need to get lives. On the news tonight there was a clip about a wife that went on strike because her husband spent all of his free time fishing. She quit doing all of the household chores and had a sign in the front year announcing, "Wife on Strike." A few weeks went by and the sign read, "Wife still on strike." When her husband offered to take her somewhere special for their anniversary she said to him, "does that mean the strike is over?" and the sign in their front yard read, "Strike is over" with two hearts drawn underneath it. Only in Oklahoma would that make the news. Last weekend we had a couple in our ward call to see if we wanted to come over and play CHUTES AND LADDERS!!! (They were totally serious) I don't remember the last time that I played Chutes and Ladders. Daniel happened to be at basketball practice so we weren't able to make it. When I told Daniel about the invitation, he told me to call them back and see if next weekend they wanted to play Candy Land! The people here are so friendly but I have found that they are completely comfortable sharing very personal information. I know things about certain husbands that if they knew that I knew they would probably die. I don't ask for this information. Most of the time I wish I could cover my ears and yell, "I'm not hearing this, I'm not hearing this." Another thing about Oklahoma is that everyone has bad teeth.
Basketball season has finally started here in Cowboy town and the fans are crazier than ever. People wear orange like it is going out of style. The Cowboys have won both of their exhibition games by 25-30 points so things are looking good. The game I am really looking forward to is when OSU plays BYU in Oklahoma City on January 4th. I hope the Cowboys kick their butts, but it will be so fun to see the BYU players and be able to visit with them after the game. Daniel is really enjoying his red shirt year this year because there is so much to learn from Coach Sutton. Can I just say that Coach Sutton is the bomb!! He changed practice on Sundays so that Daniel and I would be able to go to church together. I am the only wife on the team so he calls me the "bride" and always asks Daniel how I am doing. I really enjoy watching them practice and seeing the way that Eddie coaches. he loves those boys and he tries to make them better people, not just better basketball players. Jaxton loves watching the basketball games also. I had to buy him some earplugs because of the noise in Gallagher-Iba Arena (ranked #1 college arena by Sports Illustrated) and now he just looks at the lights, chew on his hand and falls asleep. The only thing that jerks him is when Pistol Pete shoots his gun but that scares everyone.
Daniel is doing very well in school and I still haven't gotten over the comment he made in the early weeks of the semester, "I feel smart here because everyone else is stupid." I don't think they are stupid necessarily, but their priorities are a little messed up. They just look forward to the weekends so that they can party.
Jaxton is doing great!!! We just took him to his 4 month checkup. he weighs 15 pounds and is 26 1/2 inches long. He can almost roll but in the meantime he has this sweet little scoot that turns him in circles while he is on his back. he spends most of his day eating, sucking on his hand because he is teething, and laughing and playing with his mommy. He loves it when I make up stupid little songs to sing to him and dance around like an idiot but hey, I'm the mom to do it!! He totally has a little attitude and I love it!! I think I am going to have to take credit for the attitude since I can't really take credit for anything else. Everyone tells me how much he looks like Daniel and YES, I agree, and I'm OK with that. I know he has my lips and an attitude but other than that he is his daddy's little boy! Jaxton smiles all the time, he is the happiest baby I have ever see. I think he smiles a lot because he looks at Daniel and me and things to himself, "I have absolutely no chance to be normal!" He responds to the nicknames Boopers (mine) and Bicey Buddy (Daniel's). There is nothing that makes us happier than one of Jaxton's huge smile when we walk into the room. He loves his mommy and daddy and we love him.
As for me, I am doing great! I won't lie, I still have my days that I am very homesick for Utah and all the people that I love, but I get over it. I love every second of being a mommy and feel blessed to be able to stay home with Jaxton each day. Being a full time mom has been the greatest desire of my heart for as long as I can remember and I am thankful for a wonderful husband that understands that desire and sacrifices much so that we can make it possible.
We have met a wonderful couple here that we absolutely love and get along with very well. Their names are Sterling and Tara Bone and they are great!! Every Sunday evening we have our "cooking and milk" time where we just get together to talk, relax, and enjoy each others company. On Halloween they told us that they are expecting. I have had fun telling her what to expect when it comes to pregnancy, hopefully she won't be throwing up as often as I was. We are thankful to have friends like the Bones. It definitely makes it easier to be in Stillwater because we have people that we can trust and enjoy.
Daniel, Jaxton and I are very happy and hope that this letter finds you all the same. We love you, we think of you, and we pray for you. Please keep in touch.
Love always,
The Bobik's in Oklahoma

No comments: